Tuesday

How to talk to a foreigner.



Many people want to have a talk with foreigners.
And they feel very difficult to try to talk to any foreigners.
It seems to be a problem to be afraid of being together with foreigners without saying a word or not knowing how to speak foreign languages.
With this article, I would like to give you some tips of good talking skills.

The most important thing is to approach without hesitation.
And you make a high expression from idiomatic expressions.

1. "Could you please speak slowly?" or "Speak slowly, please?"

If you don't understand due to the speed, we will be able to control the speed of conversation.

2. "What a nice day!", "Enjoying the weather?", "Hot enough for you?"
(using humorous)

"Excuse me. Are you free? " This expression is a little burden.
It is better to talk about weather than to say that.


3.You have to avoid very private questions.(religion, marriage)


4. you need to tell your name first.
So then the companion also tells his or her name.
And there is another nice expression, "That's a very nice name."

5.You praise what the companion gets. (Shoes, Bag....)

Finally, "Nice talking to you!", from using this expression you seem to be polite person.
Just below, I will show you two cases of talking with foreigners.

I, also including my friends had an interesting talk with foreigners using above tips.
In the first situation, we don't use tips, but in the other one, we use tips.
(In the interview, 'W' means 'we')

Interview 1 (Without tips)


W : Excuse me, I'd like to make a short conversation for my study. Is it OK?
Eva : Um, OK!
W : Please forgive me, even if you don't understand what I'm talking about.
Eva : What? Ah, OK!
W : What is your purpose of visit to here in Korea?
Eva : Sightseeing.
W : Are you going to stay here for a long time?
Eva : About one month.
W : Ah...
Eva : Do you have any questions?
W : No.
Eva : OK, Open your mind.
W : OK, Thank you. I want to take the picture with you. Are you OK?
Eva : It's OK.
W : Thank you.


Interview 2 (Using tips)


W : Hi, What a nice day!
Kate : Oh, yes. Good day!
W : My name is Lina. What's your name?
Kate : My name is Kate.
W : That's a very nice name. I really like your dress. Did you get them in Korea?
Kate : Dress? Thank you! I buy them in Insa-dong.
W : Do you like Korean traditional food such as Bibimbob or Korean pizza?
Kate : Oh, I don't eat them. I come to Korea yesterday. Today, I will eat them.
W : That is very nice!
Kate : Oh, Sorry. I have to go....
W : OK! What do you think about our conversation?
Kate : Interesting! Good!
W : Thank you. Have a nice travel.

Such as above interview, we can easily talk to foreigners.
To talk to foreigners, you don't have to be afraid of trying.
And if you try to use tips, you'll feel easy about talking with foreigners.

3 comments:

Brenda said...

Nice! I love the tips - I think they are useful! Another thing you can say to foreigners: "I hope you enjoy your time here, we are happy to have visitors from other countries!"

Isabella said...

It's very useful.
I want to speak english well, but I often hestate.

Alexis said...

I think it's very useful article.
I want to go to the 'In-sa Dong'.